Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Double Cleansing on the Cheap: Andalou Naturals Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk

I've been on a green beauty kick lately, focusing on the mid-range brands like Andalou Naturals and Derma e in particular. The gist is that I'm a bit tired of spending big bucks on all the cult skincare favorites, only to realize that while they're nice and luxurious to use, they don't make that much of a difference to my skin, especially when it's already being kept in good condition thanks to my basic skincare principles, discussed in detail here.
So when my REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk was very nearly used up, I decided not to repurchase another one, despite the fact that my skin really enjoyed it. Instead, I replaced it with the Andalou Naturals Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk ($12.95 for 6 fl oz/ 178 ml); one of you has actually recommended this cleanser to me (thank you!), and since I've had good luck with almost all of the Andalou products I've tried (reviews of the 1000 Roses line here, and the Probiotic Renewal Cream + Facial Lemon Sugar Scrub here), I thought that this could be a great inexpensive product to use for the second step of the double cleanse.
The ingredients sound very good to me, but like with all Andalou products, bear in mind that it is fragranced - predictably, the Cleansing Milk smells amazingly of ripe apricots. It's a more natural apricot scent than the Origins Drink Up Overnight Mask, for example, and I definitely prefer it to the Origins - this one has an almost nutty element to it, maybe from all the nourishing natural plant oils (sunflower, apricot, sweet almond, rosehip and borage) used in the formula. The Andalou Cleansing Milk also contains a probiotic complex (mostly oligosaccharides and lactobacillus), as well as a whole skew of antioxidants such as resveratrol, coenzyme Q10, polyphenols and Vitamin E.
The cleanser is packaged in a convenient plastic bottle with a pump, which I greatly appreciate. The Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk, contary to the NUDE Omega Cleansing Jelly I've reviewed not too long ago, does not emulsify, which is something to bear in mind if you're used to emulsifying cleansing oils or (gulp!) foaming face washes. Instead, it has a soft creamy texture that spreads very easily on the skin - I would say the consistency is similar to a standard body lotion, or even a light face moisturizer.
I purchased it with the intention to use it either alone in the mornings, or as a second cleanse at night, so personally it doesn't bother me that it's not the greatest make-up remover, especially if you wear waterproof eye make-up. I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. However, as a basic cleanser meant to cleanse the skin from the remnants of last night's skincare or lingering traces of make-up, it performs very well indeed. It feels soothing and hydrating on, and once removed with a warm wash cloth, doesn't leave a residue. My skin feels refreshed, plump and perfectly clean - I give it a big thumbs up!

All in all, I think the Andalou Naturals Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk is very comparable to the REN Evercalm Milk, and while I may prefer the herbal scent of the latter, that's not reason enough to pay more than double the price for the REN version. I also feel like the Andalou is a touch more hydrating than the REN, so I would definitely recommend it if you're struggling with dryness. I'm really happy with this purchase - yet again, Andalou products just don't disappoint. What is your favorite more affordable cleanser? I recently got a mini of the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and I'm excited to try that out next :)

6 comments:

  1. I like the Neutrogena creamy face wash that I've reviewed - under $10 and simply does the job...simply ;) I've been thinking about checking out something from Andalou or Derma-e, because I've seen it in my Wegmans and so it's easier to look at now, but nothing has jumped out at me as an immediate need so far. Like you, though, I'm trying to substitute more budget-friendly items when I can, so I don't feel bad about splurging on the occasion on things that merit the splurge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Neutrogena one sounds really good too - I'll probably give it a try eventually after testing the CeraVe. I've recently found that if all the products in my routine are expensive/ luxurious items, I actually don't really appreciate them any more and have various strange feelings of guilt about a) splurging on them in the first place, b) using them on the daily, so in the end, I think that for myself, it's better to keep more budget options and splurge only on some more 'active' items like serums for example. So far this year I've tried so many nice skincare products that aren't very expensive at all that I'm questioning all the splurges, lol :D

      Delete
  2. There is nothing wrong with Andalou's fragranced products, as the fragrances are all naturally derived from plants. Synthetic fragrances are the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, essential oils Andalou uses for fragrance are derived from plants, which doesn't mean they're not sensitizing for many people. I'm allergic to most citrus essential oils myself.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried Andalou products, this sounds like a great second/morning cleanse option. I will have to try it out :)

    Amber
    amberbutbetter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing Larie and Liz's recommendations for the Neutrogena cleanser, I bought it and I've been enjoying it a fair bit, though as a morning cleanse - I use a plain grapeseed oil as my makeup remover at night and I find the Neutrogena afterward doesn't quite cut through any oil residue. I have tried one Andalou cleanser, the Meyer Lemon Creamy Brightening one (something along those lines, anyway - gah, these long names!), and it's kind of irritating due to the high concentration of lemon essential oil. This sounds quite nice though!

    ReplyDelete