Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Everything's Coming Up Roses...

... but no, I mean it - just about everything. You guessed it: it's all because of the dreaded Valentine's Day, or Cupid's Day of Doom as I like to call it; well, maybe not exactly, but you might have correctly inferred that I harbor a strong dislike for February 14. I DO like roses though, so I thought we could meet in the middle - you'll be conjuring images of glitter, pink hearts and romantic dinners, if that's your thang, and I'll just talk about one of my favorite flowers. Deal? Or does everyone hate me now?
Anyhow. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but it turns out I have a good variety of rose-centric beauty products - I won't lie, I mostly enjoy using them due to the sweet but sophisticated, feminine floral aroma, although rose (or more specifically, rose essential oil and rosehip oil) has a number of skin loving properties too. Rather nifty coincidence, right?
Starting with skincare, I've waxed lyrical about the Jurlique Herbal Recovery Advanced Serum ($54 for 30ml/$150 for 100ml) before, but here's a quick recap: it's a beautifully-scented hydrating serum rich in natural ingredients including anti-aging rosa canina fruit oil (rosehip oil), which helps to diminish scars, lighten pigmentation and nourish dry skin. I've also recently picked up a bottle of organic Rose Hydrosol from Mountain Rose Herbs ($4.50 for 3 oz spray bottle); hydrosols or flower waters are by-products of essential oil steam distillation and offer all the beneficial components of a whole plant. Rose hydrosol/ rosewater has antibacterial properties, helps balance sebum production and tighten pores, calms and relieves anxiety. I like best using it as a toner or a natural pillow spray.
My rose-scented bath selection includes an old favorite, Lush's Rose Jam Bubbleroon ($6.25 for 3.5 oz), previously metioned here (thank you Kar Yi for reuniting me with it!), and a new find: Neom Organics Complete Bliss Bath Oil ($56 for 100ml) with Moroccan Blush Rose, a perfectly relaxing, moisturizing treat. In terms of scent difference, Lush's Turkish rose is a bit sweeter, jammier and more edible, while Neom's Moroccan rose smells greener, sharper, more rose geranium. To complete our rose world tour, I was gifted this Bulgarian rose soap by my mom; this hot pink bar smells like garden rose petals, fresh, clean, slightly musky. The soap came in a set with a little vial of rosewater, which I can't wait to use for scenting pot pourri sachets or in a diffuser.
While browsing The Body Shop's hand cream offerings, I couldn't resist a purse size tube of their Wild Rose Hand Cream ($20 for 3.3 fl oz/100 ml, I believe my smaller size was $10). This luscious cream contains rosehip and brazil nut oil (by the way, I love The Body Shop's Brazil Nut Body Butter, it pretty much smells like nutty donuts) and it's aimed at more mature skin types but I find that it works perfectly for my dry, eczema-prone hands; it's richly moisturizing yet soaks in without leaving a greasy layer, and the rose scent is not too overpowering - it has a sharp, soapy edge to it.
Last but not least, my beautiful vintage-inspired bottle of L'Occitane Rose Quatre Reines Eau de Toilette ($22 for 0.66 fl oz/20 ml). This rose soliflore is composed of four different varieties of rose: the Grasse rose, the Bulgarian rose, the Moroccan rose and the Turkish rose. This light, refreshing EDT becomes more powdery and musky as it dries down on the skin without turning too old lady - it still retains an effortless, sunny, summery quality. If you're after a feminine, but not overly complicated rose perfume, I do recommend you give it a sniff.

Now that I've been smelling all these rose-scented products for the past hour, I may actually use one or two this Friday night... but I'm not promising anything! What are your favorite rose-themed beauty products?

17 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to handle a rose fragrance in a while - I think I overdosed at some point and now I just can't. I'm hoping one day I'll be able to enjoy my Jo Malone Red Roses again, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a little sample of Jo Malone Red Roses but that one wasn't my favorite, I'm not exactly sure why... I'm sure rose scents will come back to you!

      Delete
  2. Hey Monika, it's great to find another rose enthusiast! I used to dislike it till several years ago, when I finally figured out it can be so beautiful when done right (instead of grandmotherly). My favorite rose perfume is Frederic Malle Une Rose. I also like some Jurlique rose-smelling products. L'Occitane did a trio of limited edition body creams a while ago, and the rose one is pretty nice as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I really need to go smell some Frederic Malle perfumes, I've heard great things about his creations, including the rose scents. L'Occitane do a pretty good job with their rose-scented things, don't they?

      Delete
  3. rose scented things are hit or miss for me. sometimes they give off a granny vibe that i'm just not ready to get comfortable with yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same sentiments on Valentine's and I love roses! Certain roses are too over the top, but I especially love Morrocan Rose :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE rose scented products! I'm so surprised you still haven't used the RoseJam Bubbleroon yet :) I need to go smell that L'Occitane perfume because I really enjoy the scent of their rose soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, yes, I'm a hoarder - and I think I have too many bath products to choose from :) I really like the L'Occitane perfume and I think the price point isn't too bad either - it's funny because their rollerball, which is half the size of travel spray, is exactly the same price.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I had the mini bottle of the L'Occitane scent but sadly I had to send it away cause it didn't work with my chemistry. Very few rose scents work for me, though.
    Boots No.7 has this organic toner with rose water and it smells very nice and works quite well.
    I find Paul Smith Rose the freshest so far, but my search for perfect rose scents will go on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommeding these products, I need to check them out! Haven't heard about Paul Smith's rose but it sounds amazing <3

      Delete
  7. My favourite rose product is definitely the Jurlique hand cream - it smells like Turkish Delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I need to try that, I love testing different hand creams!

      Delete
  8. I'm the same as Larie - totally overdosed on rose last year and avoid it like the plague now! But you make that hydrosol toner sound so lovely that I want to pick up a vial right away. The Jurlique too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like some rose scents, but they tend to need to be spicy (L'Artisan Safran Troublant is fantastic, for example). The hydrosol sounds great, though! And I do love that rose elements have such beneficial effects on skin––how thoughtful of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love rose scented products. My latest is Roses de Chloé, so lovely! I like TBS hand cream but on my arms, it seems like the fragrance is too much on my skin's chemistry for my hands. Now I'm intrigued by L'Occitane, I simply must sample it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bulgarian rose soap is so pretty!

    My favorite rose I just recently added to my collection is ByTerry Baume de Rose. So expensive and divine lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! My favorite rose-themed beauty product is definitely Stella by Stella McCartney. I'm curious to try that Jurlique serum now! Sounds like a great product.

    ReplyDelete