Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Fruit Picking: CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balm in Watermelon Twist

I've been known to survive on fruit and nothing but fruit in the summer; in fact, raspberries are probably my favorite food on this planet, period. And when it comes to watermelons... a cold juicy wedge straight from the fridge is just the thing for sweltering summer days, isn't it? It is then no surprise that any shade name evoking fruity goodness makes me perk up and start paying attention, like this CoverGirl LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in the shade Watermelon Twist ($6.89 for 0.13 fl oz/3.84 ml).
'Twist up the color and glide on the shine. Treat your lips to a balm fortified with shea and mango butters for a smooth look with a hint of color.' (from CoverGirl's website). The LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balms come in 16 shades and promise a soft shine without the sticky feeling. How does the product live up to its claims and stands its ground among so many other iterations of a tinted balm in the fat crayon packaging?
The Jumbo Gloss Balm twists up easily and applies lightly on the lips without tugging or pulling. The pigmentation is on the sheer side but can be built up, and the shade Watermelon Twist packs enough punch that even a light application on my pigmented lips gives enough color to perk up the whole face. The finish is slightly glossy, however it's more of a lip balm sheen than lip gloss mirrored effect, as you can see in the swatches below. The glossiness can also be taken down a notch if the product is patted onto the lips with a finger, giving a very natural 'bitten' look. The wear is rather short lived (2-3 hours) with the glossiness fading even sooner, which can be expected for a tinted balm; on the plus side, my lips still feel soft and not too dry after wearing it for an entire day.
As for some shades comparisons, I don't really own any similar hues in the sheer formula - well, that's a big plus in my book! Watermelon Twist (far left) can definitely be described as a light coral/ peachy pink, pulling neither too warm or too cool. Compared to L'Oreal Colour Caresse lipstick in Blushing Sequin (middle left), it has more peach undertones, while Revlon Kissable Balm Stain in Smitten (middle right) appears almost purple. The Buxom Lip Creme in Cherry Flip (far right) is warmer and more orange.
Overall, I think that CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balm in Watermelon Twist is another one of those summery low-key lip products that can be just thrown into a purse and reapplied on the go. The light coral shade gives enough oomph to liven up any complexion but it's not searingly bright or overly dramatic, and the formula performs rather well; I'd be curious to check out a ruby red in this too. Have you tried the CoverGirl Gloss Balms? What is your favorite tinted lip balm product?

8 comments:

  1. The shade is gorgeous! And my superdry lips love these products, haha. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - can't stand an opaque matte at the moment ;(

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure we get these here, but now I have to look into it! I'm always always up for a coral! My everyday coral for the moment is Dior Spring Ball Addict Extreme. It's something I want to wear for pretty much every occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lemming after the Addict Extremes for a while, I should finally jump the ball and just get one! Thanks for the recommendation, Sunny :)

      Delete
  3. I love those chubby crayons at the moment! Every brand seems to release their own version!
    Here in Switzerland we have the brand 'Astor'. Their Soft Sensation Lipcolor Butter are really nice! They are very similar to the Clinique Chubby Sticks but the bullet is slanted so they are easier to apply! (at least when the tip is getting worn enough, the offer more precision if that makes sense!). You can see it in my June's favorites!
    That shades looks beautiful on you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's Astor make-up in Poland too! I've never tried a lot from the brand though after a mascara catastrophe... I should look into that next time I visit my family :)

      Delete
  4. I am curious about those covergirl crayon thingys :)
    by the way, I am having a giveaway on my blog, come and participate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty on you! These haven't released where I live yet - will keep my eyes peeled for when I do spot them in the shops :)

    ReplyDelete