Friday, March 18, 2011

High-end Haul

I decided to treat myself to some high-end pieces this month and after many happy moments spent online perusing swatches and reviews, I settled on ordering a few bits and bobs from All Cosmetics Wholesale (which is a Washingtonian company... who knew?).


I got:
Michael Todd Crème Glacé lipgloss in 'Natural'
Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in 'Slippin n' Dippin'
Stila Convertible Color in 'Lillium' (travel size)
Stila Cheek Color in 'Hint'
Sigma E05 Fine Eyeliner brush
POP Beauty Glitter Stix in 'Sage' (gift with purchase)


I wanted some soft, neutral shades I knew I was going to use and had so far been missing in my collection, as well as a long wearing cream eyeshadow for spring and summer I could just pat all over the lid for a quick look. Also, I wanted to try brands that had been new to me: Michael Todd and Stila. I just love the name of the gloss; it's a literal French translation of the word 'ice cream' and not surprisingly, the product smells exactly like vanilla strawberry ice cream. Delicious! I'm also happy with my Stila purchases.


However, I don't know if I will ever be ordering from this company again. While the products are discounted, I think their quality is not the same as in a regular store. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see in the photo above, but my Benefit cream eyeshadow seems a bit dried out and had already started to pull from the edges of the jar when I first opened it.


The Sigma brush arrived with some blems on the handle, which I don't mind that much, and a lot of splayed hairs, which I do mind a lot. I've washed it, reshaped it and left to dry in a brush guard, but some hairs are still sticking out. There was no information on the website that these products might be faulty in any way. It just spoils the fun of buying more luxurious make-up if it turns out to be damaged somehow.

Let me know if you'd like me to review any of these products and I can promise that you'll be seeing them in make-up looks to come. What have you treated yourself to lately?

8 comments:

  1. I want to get some sigma brushes but I've heard a lot about faulty products so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

    essiebutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benefit's eye shadows are amazing, you are gonna love it. My latest (today) beauty purchase was China Glaze Wagon Trial nail polish and I am lusting after the new Dior Addict, checked them out today (as well as Coco Rouge Shine) and it is love ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Essie: I'm not sure if it's just the website I bought it from or a general rule... but I've also heard you can exchange the faulty ones when you send Sigma photos of your damaged brushes.

    @Marina: Oh, I love those creaseless creams too, I also have one in Skinny Jeans and it's my favorite shade for smokey eyes. I have some new China Glaze too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely treats there, shame about the quality issues.

    I swapped away all my benefit cream shadows a while ago but every time I see them pop up on blogs I'm tempted to repurchase! I wonder how they compare to MAC's paintpots?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @loveaudrey: I haven't tried MAC Paintpots yet (I know, I must be the last person on the face of the earth) but I heard that Benefit ones are more long lasting and crease-resistant. I have oily lids, so I was more tempted by Benefit offerings. They do hold quite well, but without powder on top, still crease after 6 hours wear. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I think I've treated myself a little..too well lately. Hehehe :) It probably begs for a bit of a no-buy! I haven't heard of this company, but I will check it out to see what they offer--it seems to be quite a variety.

    Too bad though, when they're not upfront about the quality of their products. Those stila convertibles are nice for travel though..depending on where you look, you can find some of the rare shades too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @fantastic: They have some really nice bits, not all of them are discounted though (and some discountinued shades are even more expensive than regular retail!). I've just used my Lillium today, it's a great neutral shade on me and I'd love to try some more :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely haul dear! =) i also recently posted a haul. LOL! ^-^

    ReplyDelete